Silverfish Preventive Treatment & Control
Silverfish get their name from their sleek fish-like body that’s covered in small silvery scales. Although they cannot fly, silverfish run very fast – almost in a gliding maneuver that’s similar to the movement of fish. Adult insects have a ½ to ¾-inch long body (excluding the tail) with threadlike antennas and widely-separated compound eyes.
A silverfish infestation is a common problem in various areas throughout the U.S. They are often seen in moist and humid corners of the home, including the bathroom, basement, and attic. Silverfish are small insects and good at hiding. Therefore, it can be hard to tell if you have a silverfish infestation until it’s too late.
Potential Damage and Complications to Consider
Luckily for us, silverfish do not bite. However, there are other complications that make it crucial to remove silverfish from your home as soon as possible. These include:
- Allergies – Although silverfish are not known to transmit disease, these pests may trigger allergies in some people.
- Attract other pests – Silverfish tend to attract carpet beetles that can eat through your clothes, rugs, and furniture.
- Destroy personal items – Silverfish can cause considerable damage to things like wallpaper, books, envelopes, and clothing.
- Infest food items – Silverfish can contaminate food items, especially rolled oats and flour, as they sometimes like to feed off it.
Signs of a Silverfish Infestation
Some telltale signs of a silverfish infestation include:
- Feeding marks, such as holes in paper or clothing
- Silverfish feces (tiny, black peppercorn-like pellets that can be easily mistaken as general dust or debris)
- Moulted skin (delicate, papery shells of shed skin)
- Yellow stains on clothing and paper
- Seeing live silverfish
Silverfish Preventive Treatment and Control
CT Pest Solutions can help remove silverfish from your property for good. We are a licensed and experienced pest removal company offering:
- Same-day silverfish infestation inspection and treatment services
- Inspect and Identify conducive conditions
- Routine silverfish preventive and control treatments
- Emergency services
Service Areas for Silverfish Treatment and Control
We service most of Connecticut including: